Wednesday, April 29, 2009
I just had to put these in. Ashley was so tired and was watching TV when she fall asleep. She is so cute.
And Kayla and Austin having fun with they new sunglasses. They're so silly!
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
I got this new can sealer, so I can, can my food storage whenever I want at home. Today I needed to finish my sugar so I decided to take a few pictures to show everyone how I do it. First I get myself organized and gather all the proper items I will need to can.
Then I get my #10 can and line it with a plastic bag, then pour 6LBS on sugar inside each can, then measure. I measure everything because I have a computer program that calculates my food storage for me, but I do need to know how much everything weighs. Its actually a really cool program. I have a basic and an advanced version, so if anyone would like a copy of it just let my know and I can email it to you or maybe I can try to put it on my blog site.
After I weigh everything, I label my cans (I put my labels upside down for a reason), its so when I finish sealing the can the pressure of the product will help ensure the seal and knowing if its a good seal or not. I know there are other reasons as well but I can't think of them at the time.Well, that pretty much does it. Then I box them, label them and put them on the shelve. And then I'm that much closer to getting my year supply of food storage. I actually really, really close to having it and it definitely brings Craig and I much peace knowing that we have it.
Well, it's confirmed Gary and Chanell are unofficially engaged and I mean their not officially engaged but have set a date for May 23, 2009. WOW, what short notice, his mom and I just found out last night. I guess, we'll see how everything turns out.
Monday, April 6, 2009
10. My neighbors have a TWO year supply! No, they don’t. They don’t have any food. Did you know that 85% of the members of the church don’t have any food storage at all? If your idea of food storage is to eat someone else’s food………..this is a really bad plan.
9. I’ve paid tithing for 20 years…the church can give me a little food. Many members believe that when the times get hard, the church is going to come through like Joseph in Egypt. Absolutely not true. All the church storehouses and welfare farms across the country would only feed 4% of the members of the church. The church has been asking YOU to store food for 75 years. They’re NOT storing food for you. Thus, another bad plan.
8. I’m moving in with my children / parents! Really….that’s just a bad plan all by itself. But it points out that most members don’t have a year’s supply because they’re PLANNING on eating someone else’s food! Of course, since no one HAS any food, we have yet another bad plan.
7. I have a year’s supply…and the bullets to go with it! I’ve heard time and again, “How dumb is that to go to all the time and expense of getting food…just to have some guy with a gun come and shoot my family to take it away?” Here’s a better question. Are you afraid of the guy with the gun? Or are you more afraid of BECOMING the guy with the gun? What would you do if your children were starving to death? Would you lie? Cheat? Steal? Would you shoot your neighbor for his food? I guarantee….if you were watching your child starving to death, you would do anything you had to to keep them alive. If you don’t have your year’s supply, you are putting yourself in danger of losing not only your temporal salvation, but your spiritual salvation as well.
So far, all the reasons we don’t have our food storage involve eating someone else’s food. Please, don’t put your family’s temporal salvation in other people’s hands. No one is storing food for you. Not your neighbors, not the government…not even the church.
#6. The boat and the 4 wheelers are taking up all my storage space! (priorities!)
#5. 3 letters….Y2K. Ok, that’s 2 letters and a number….but they’re always making way too much out of everything! This is never going to happen!” (Every prophecy that has ever been given WILL happen.)
#4. If anything DOES happen, the government will be here within hours! (insert laughter) Did you know the government has been telling us that we need to have food storage? They’re actually CALLING it food storage! We now have the government telling us to store food, water, medicines…whatever we will need to be able to stay in our homes for several months.
#3. I can’t afford scrap booking AND food storage. The average food storage can cost as little as a dollar a day. We live in the richest society in the history of the world, and while there are cases where money may be a problem, most of the time it is a matter of priorities. We have chosen bigger homes, nicer cars, more tv’s, computers, vacations …everything is more important than our food storage. If I asked, “Who has a cell phone?” most of you would say yes. You pay at least $30 a month to have a cell phone….that’s about a dollar a day…the cost of one year’s supply of food for your child. Is your cell phone really more important than your child’s temporal salvation? You have to make food storage a priority.
2. I’m waiting for the cannery to sell Papa John’s dehydrated pizza! Food storage has always had a stigma attached to it. If it’s not wheat, beans and powdered milk, it’s not food storage. With the system I use, food storage can be sweet and sour chicken, tamale pie, chile and cornbread, beef stew, shepherd’s pie, minestrone…even chocolate chip cookies! Your imagination (and your pocketbook) are the only limitations you have.
And the #1 reason why I don’t have my year’s supply of food? A year?? I thought it was 72 hours!!
You KNOW you should have your food storage. You WANT to have it, but it can be so overwhelming! How much do I buy? Where do I store it? How do I cook it? It seems like an impossible task…. but it’s not. It doesn’t matter if you use my system or just start buying extra food, the important thing is to do something. Good luck in your efforts! Wendy DeWitt